Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Taco Truck - Sinaloa.

Once in a while I get obsessed with a food item and I keep on having to go back and back for more. I cannot get enough of it.  

More recently, for a few years now, one of my crazes is this amazing taco truck in Fruitvale area of Oakland, called Tacos Sinaloa.

And I'm not alone, it's got a ton of good reviews on Yelp.

I learned of this place, when I was working in the area a few years ago.  My husband took me there for lunch, and I have been hooked ever since.  Now, almost every time I'm in the area, I make sure to take a trip to "Sinaloa" (which, by the way is one of the 31 states of Mexico. I had to look that up).  I always get it to go, but there are little tables to sit at.  


My favorite taco truck.  Who is that lady?  I don't know her.

It's a taco truck, which if you've ever seen one, doesn't look very glitzy.  Some of my friends call it "street meat" and probably wouldn't be caught dead eating from it.  But the fact is that these trucks are regulated and licensed just as any restaurant is, and the food that comes out of them is amazing, and the prices are great.  When I go, I'm not their usual crowd.  Mostly Hispanics and mostly men eat there.  The reviews say it's in a not so nice neighborhood, but I don't think it's that bad.  

Sometimes I get the tacos.  Usually I mix it up with one each of pork, chicken and beef.  I love how they are nothing like the American tacos we know.  Served on small soft round tortillas, piled high with meat and finely chopped salsa veggies and spices, these tacos are a perfect bite of flavor.

I always, always, always get the same thing.  The Torta for $5.  It's amazing. Honestly, this truck was my first experience with the torta, so at first I thought tortas were always this good.  Since then I've ordered the torta at lots of different restaurants and it never even comes near to being as good as the one at Sinaloa.  That's when I realized this place is special.


Someday I'll try the other things on their menu.


Torta means sandwich.  And the torta at Sinaloa is made with a delicious fresh bun that is slightly toasted, topped with tender shredded chicken that has smokey, heavenly flavor to it.  There is some shredded lettuce, sliced tomatoes and just the right amount of a white sauce on it too.  The white sauce is kinda tangy, sort of mayonnaise-y but much better than regular mayonnaise.  The ratio of all the ingredients is just right.  The flavors meld together, and every single bite is just scrumptious.  You don't have that left over just-bread part that many sandwiches give you.  I always order the torta "with everything", because it comes with a side of the best pickled veggies ever.  Carrots, sliced radishes, jalapeno peppers and a wedge of lime. I squeeze the lime on every bite as I'm eating and once in a while I bite into a jalapeno to get that spicyness I love. 

 
The torta.  With the yummie garnish that comes with it.
If you're ever in Fruitvale, you must visit Tacos Sinaloa.    

No comments:

Post a Comment