Thursday, September 26, 2013

Pork Belly & Off The Grid.

I'm a sucker for food trucks.  I'm always tempted by what they have to offer. 

With out the constraints and costs of running a traditional restaurant, food trucks are independent, nimble and extra creative in what they cook up. For me it's a great way to try quality food without the extra effort of going to a restaurant.  And the idea also is that they are a bit cheaper than a traditional restaurant, because of the low overhead cost.  But that's not really true, at least not in this area, as I find that most food trucks prices are the same as in a good restaurant, with just smaller food portions.

I regularly visit my favorite truck in Fruitvale, Sinaloa, which I wrote about here.  Sinaloa, makes the most amazing tortas (sandwiches) ever. Their $5 for a giant sandwich, is a steal.  I've tried tortas from many different places and they never compare to the ones they make there.

I have some friends refer to food from food trucks as "street meat", which always makes me laugh. Some people are too cautious to buy food from a truck.  Where is their kitchen, what really goes on in that truck anyway?  Food trucks, by the way, are regulated by the health department just as any restaurant is. 

Recently, one Saturday after a soccer practice I was finally able to go to a Off The Grid event. OTG organizes gathering spots for food trucks all over the Bay Area.  A "..roaming, mobile food extravaganza", they call it.   They are San Francisco based, and for a long time only stayed near the city. But recently they've come closer to Oakland and last summer they were in Alameda at a shopping center every friday.

When faced with a gathering of food trucks, the choices can be overwhelming. There is food from literally all over the world, tons of different types, lots of variety.  What to pick?

I walk around, take my time, reading the menus and I watch what others are eating.


I finally decide on Nicks Wheely Good Breakfast. Because....they have a pork belly sandwich!  Oh, I'm also a sucker for pork belly.  Pork belly is such a bad way to describe a cut of meat.  But it's the most tender, tasty, delectable part of the pig.  I never cook it and rarely, rarely order it. (Mainly because it's rarely on menus).  Their description on the menu; maple glazed, arugula, fried egg... convinces me to get it.  And a guy who just ordered one tells me that it's the absolute best and he always gets one when he can.   

So back to my Maple Glazed Pork Belly Sandwich.  I have to wait for ever for it.  But that means it's fresh and that's always good.  And when I see it....

Close-up of my sandwich.  Charlotte in the background.

I can tell right away that it's going to be good.  And it is.  Fresh foccacia bread, pork belly which is made into a tasty hash, with sharp arugula and a perfectly fried egg...all together.  A perfect blend of flavor and texture.  I'm oohing, and aahing while I'm eating.  It's incredibly rich, but not in a gross way. It's so flavorful and just melty. That awesome pork flavor that you can only get from pork.  It's the perfect meal in a sandwich. I'm so, so glad I tried it.  And I can't wait to track them down and get another one :)  And by the way, the price for this sandwich, $8 is really fair.  It's a big sandwich and top quality.  It's the kind of meal that stays on my mind all day.  An experience that lasts a while.  Really great.


The line was only two deep.  
Then of course I want to try desert.  And desert food trucks are not as common.  There are too many cupcake food trucks.  Anyway, I find this Pacific Puffs truckall the way from San Francisco, it seems. Expensive, ($3.25) cream puffs.  I opted for the mini versions which are $2 each, so that it's easier for our family of five to share.

I really can't stand over priced food. It makes me a bit mad.  But these were good, and of course I wanted more than just half of a mini... I had to share theses with my three kids!

Three little cream puffs.
I can't wait to go to my next food truck gathering.  Be sure to go hungry, take your time and enjoy yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment